Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Fellowship

When I was running and gunning, I can remember so many different times when I would be in a room full of people I had know all my life and feeling like I was all alone. I felt like there was a hole inside me that no amount of sex or drugs or rock and roll could fill. And I felt like none of the people in that room understood or even cared.

I have not felt that way for the last fourteen years. When I came into the rooms of AA fourteen years ago, I found a way of life that I can't imagine being without today. I found a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. Since that day, these men and women have seen me through the first stages of my recovery. They loved me until I learned to love myself. They saw me throught the death and passing of my mom when I was about five years sober. They were with me when I found and married the love of my life, a wonderful woman who is also in recovery. They were with me when my grandma passed away, when my niece died last year and they were there for me when my own daughter passed away last year.

Through all the joy, through all the sorrow, from New York to California and from Alaska to Texas, these men and women have been there for me. I have never felt alone. I have never been alone.

No comments: